Choosing the right college is crucial for any student, especially those seeking an education that integrates their Christian faith. In South Carolina, numerous institutions offer a well-rounded academic experience while nurturing spiritual growth.
From imparting religious values to nurturing compassionate leaders, these Christian colleges and universities ensure graduates are equipped to impact their communities positively. Whether you’re a prospective student seeking the perfect fit or a curious reader interested in faith-based education, these institutions uniquely contribute to South Carolina’s diverse higher education landscape.
Discover the best Christian colleges and universities in South Carolina, where faith and academic excellence harmoniously coexist. This guide takes you through a selection of exceptional institutions that prioritize spiritual growth alongside rigorous education. South Carolina’s warm embrace extends to these campuses, fostering supportive environments where students can develop both personally and professionally.
- 1 20 Best Christian Colleges In South Carolina
- 1.1 1. Anderson University
- 1.2 2. Charleston Southern University
- 1.3 3. Columbia International University
- 1.4 4. North Greenville University
- 1.5 5. Bob Jones University
- 1.6 6. Southern Wesleyan University
- 1.7 7. Limestone University
- 1.8 8. Erskine College
- 1.9 9. Columbia College
- 1.10 10. Claflin University
- 1.11 11. Voorhees University
- 1.12 12. Morris College
- 1.13 13. Allen University
- 1.14 14. Newberry College
- 1.15 15. Southern Methodist College
- 1.16 16. Benedict College
- 1.17 17. Wofford College
- 1.18 18. Furman University
- 1.19 19. Clinton College
- 1.20 20. Presbyterian College
- 2 Conclusion
20 Best Christian Colleges In South Carolina
1. Anderson University
Located in Anderson, South Carolina, and affiliated with the South Carolina Baptist Convention, Anderson University was founded in 1911. It is a Christian school known and renowned for its rigorous academics and firm dedication to faith-based education. Tuition is $30,540 a year.
- Vibrant campus ministry encouraging students to deepen their spiritual walk
- Small to average class sizes and personalized attention from professors
- Solid emphasis on community service and outreach programs
2. Charleston Southern University
Charleston Southern University, founded in 1964, is affiliated with the South Carolina Baptist Convention. The school offers diverse undergraduate and doctoral degrees from its campus in Charleston. This college’s diverse mix of programs with a Christian worldview nurtures students’ spiritual, intellectual, and personal development. Tuition is $27,954 a year with these additional benefits.
- Beautiful campus environment promoting a sense of belonging
- Thriving athletic programs and extracurricular activities
- Dedicated faculty members guide students in both academics and faith
3. Columbia International University
Columbia International University was founded in 1923 as Columbia Bible School by a group of Christian leaders led by Robert C. McQuilkin Sr. The initial purpose of the institution was to provide biblical and theological education to individuals interested in Christian ministry. CIU is renowned for its global mission focus, preparing students for effective Christian service worldwide. Tuition is $24,350 per year, and students receive:
- Intercultural experiences through mission trips and diverse student body
- Emphasis on biblical studies and theological training
- Christ-centered mentorship programs for individual spiritual growth
4. North Greenville University
North Greenville University is connected with the Southern Baptist Convention in Tigerville, South Carolina. Founded in 1891, it offers undergraduate and graduate programs in various fields, focusing on a Christ-centered education that equips students to positively influence their communities and workplaces. Tuition is approximately $19,290 per year.
- Strong emphasis on servant leadership and character development
- Comprehensive liberal arts curriculum and a Christian higher education
- Thriving campus life with various clubs, organizations, and events
5. Bob Jones University
Bob Jones University was founded in 1927 in Greenville, South Carolina. It has a more fundamentalist Christian perspective and offers undergraduate and graduate programs.
Rooted in a profound connection to the core doctrines of Scripture and a commitment to academic excellence, this university is dedicated to preparing students to interact with the world from a Christian perspective. The annual tuition cost is approximately $18,150.
- Emphasis on cultivating a biblical worldview across all disciplines
- Robust performing arts programs and opportunities for creative expression
- Active involvement in community service and outreach initiatives
6. Southern Wesleyan University
Southern Wesleyan University, established in 1906, is affiliated with the Wesleyan Church. This Christian university in Central, South Carolina, offers undergraduate and graduate programs. It fosters a transformative learning experience, combining knowledge with spiritual growth and service. Tuition is $26,470 per year, with these additional benefits:
- Strong sense of Christian community and discipleship opportunities
- Experiential learning programs, including internships and research opportunities
- Southern Wesleyan University focuses on promoting social justice and serving the marginalized
7. Limestone University
Limestone University is a private liberal arts Christian university located in Gaffney, South Carolina. The school traces its roots back to 1845, when it was established as Limestone Springs Female High School. It offers a liberal arts curriculum based on Christian doctrines, preparing students for successful careers and meaningful lives. Tuition is $27,900 per year.
- Flexibility in course options, including online and evening classes
- Supportive faculty mentoring and career guidance
- Active campus ministry and mission trips
8. Erskine College
Located in Due West, South Carolina, Erskine College was established in 1839 and is affiliated with the Associate Reformed Presbyterian Church. It offers undergraduate programs in various disciplines. This college is grounded in academic excellence and spiritual growth and fosters a transformative college experience for its students. Tuition is $36,510 each year.
- Rigorous academic programs with a Christian worldview
- Opportunities for cross-cultural engagement and study abroad programs
- Close-knit campus community encouraging spiritual growth
9. Columbia College
Established in 1854 as Columbia Female College by the United Methodist Church, Columbia College in South Carolina is a private liberal arts women’s college. Pioneering higher education for women during its time, the institution offers a diverse and inclusive learning environment with a firm Christian foundation. Empowering women to excel as leaders in various fields is at the heart of Columbia College’s mission. Tuition is $18,830 a year.
- Focus on women’s leadership and empowerment
- Robust internship and career development programs
- Commitment to community service and social justice
10. Claflin University
Claflin University made a historic move over 150 years ago by becoming the first racially inclusive university in South Carolina. Today, it remains dedicated to its legacy by welcoming outstanding students of all races and genders who demonstrate a fervent passion not only for self-improvement but also for global transformation.
- Strong support for research and hands-on learning opportunities
- Stress on social conscientiousness and moral leadership rooted in United Methodist beliefs
- Energetic campus atmosphere with a wide range of extracurricular activities
11. Voorhees University
Voorhees University was formerly known as Voorhees College until it changed its name in 2022 to commemorate its 125th anniversary. The school nurtures an all-inclusive environment. It cultivates its student body’s spiritual, intellectual, and personal growth through its affiliation with the Episcopal Church. It is known for being a historically Black university. Tuition is $15,364 a year.
- Highlights community service and civic engagement
- Solid commitment to social justice and support for underprivileged communities
- Small class sizes for personalized attention and support
12. Morris College
Morris College is another historically Black college in Sumter, South Carolina. They provide a comprehensive education focused on academic excellence. This Christian college aims to cultivate ethical leaders with a firm Christian base rooted in the Baptist tradition. Tuition is $13,120 per year.
- Engaging faculty-mentored research opportunities
- Culturally enriching campus events and activities
- Importance of social and community service and responsibility
13. Allen University
Established in 1870 in Cokesbury, Allen University, though small, has a big impact. At Allen University, you’ll experience transformation through faith-based education, impacting students, society, and the world. Our rigorous academics and faculty support help you reach your full potential.
- Affiliated with the African Methodist Episcopal Church in South Carolina
- Builds up Christian character through five core values: integrity, accountability, respect, excellence, and faith
- Offers an array of opportunities for personal growth and experiences that broaden horizons and promote open-mindedness
14. Newberry College
Experience personal attention, rigorous academics, and a close-knit community that welcomes all at Newberry College. They combine a strong liberal arts foundation with specialized professional degrees to ensure your path to a successful future.
- Accredited by the Commission on Colleges of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools (SACS), authorized to grant bachelor’s and master’s degrees
- Boasts a supportive academic community in liberal arts rooted in Lutheran traditions
15. Southern Methodist College
Southern Methodist College prioritizes equipping students for leadership and service in their chosen fields. The school upholds and fosters Christian principles. Tuition is $18,650 yearly, plus these additional advantages:
- Strong emphasis on internships and experiential learning
- Welcoming and close-knit campus community
- Emphasis on spiritual growth and character development
16. Benedict College
At Benedict College, students receive a Christ-centered education with a focus on social justice. As one of the Christian colleges and universities in South Carolina, the school seeks to empower students to effect positive change in their communities. Tuition is $22,724 a year.
- Engaging faculty dedicated to mentorship and guidance
- Emphasis on promoting diversity and inclusion on campus
17. Wofford College
Wofford College provides a liberal arts education integrated with Christian values. This Christian college also encourages students to lead moral lives of purpose and significance. Tuition is $35,150 per year, plus these added features:
- Robust undergraduate research opportunities across various disciplines
- Global learning through overseas study programs
- Strong sense of community and active campus ministry
18. Furman University
Furman University was founded in 1826 and is based in Greenville, South Carolina. The institution primarily had affiliations with the South Carolina Baptist Convention. However, it has since become a non-denominational school that offers diverse undergraduate and graduate programs.
Emphasizing intellectual curiosity and spiritual exploration, Furman offers a transformative education that equips students to create meaningful changes in the community. Tuition is $51,544 yearly, and though it may seem steep, students will receive these additional advantages:
- All-inclusive research opportunities
- Highlights sustainability and environmental stewardship
- Commitment to upholding diversity on the campus
19. Clinton College
Clinton College was founded as the Clinton Institute in 1894 and named after Bishop Caleb Isom Clinton of the African Methodist Episcopal Zion Church’s Palmetto Conference. In 2013, the college was renamed after it received accreditation to become a four-year institution. Today, it stands as one of the most innovative small, private historically Black colleges in the nation.
- Proudly stands by the four pillars of scholarship, social change, spirituality, and service
- Comprehensive Work College providing career skills and workforce development for global success
20. Presbyterian College
Presbyterian College offers a liberal arts education. It emphasizes ethical leadership and Christian values, preparing students for lives of purpose and service. Tuition is pegged at $38,014 a year.
- Engaging faculty dedicated to student mentorship and support
- Emphasis on community service and social responsibility
- Active campus ministry and faith-based organizations
Discovering a college that resonates with your beliefs or finding your child’s perfect educational environment is possible through South Carolina’s diverse options. Embrace this transformative journey as it fosters academic, spiritual, and personal growth. Wisdom and faith are our companions as we strive for excellence in pursuing the ideal Christian education.
The vibrant state of South Carolina is a treasure trove for those seeking academic excellence grounded in Christian values. With innovative educational offerings, modern facilities, a nurturing community, and profound spiritual mentorship, these Christian colleges and universities illuminate the path for young students seeking to combine their faith with higher education.