Being a follower of Jesus and an ardent advocate of him means being his follower. A follower adheres to another’s teachings and is their pupil, student, or learner. A disciple not only obeys but also actively works to propagate the beliefs of their superior. The term “disciple” denotes a close relationship with Jesus and describes followers of him most frequently in the Bible.
Being a follower of Jesus requires tremendous commitment. Being a follower of Christ is an invitation to live a life that has meaning and is governed by the virtues of righteousness, love, and forgiveness. It is a lifetime endeavor to increase your knowledge of God’s Word, develop your faith, and serve as a reflection of Christ in a dark and sinful world.
What Does It Mean To Be A Follower Of Jesus Christ?
Paul urged the Corinthians to follow him since he was a follower of Christ during one of his talks to them. From Paul’s day until the present, this call to become a follower of Christ has been honest and valid. To follow Christ means to make an effort to mold our behavior, activities, and lives into those of the Savior. It’s to develop virtues. It entails being a sincere follower of Jesus Christ.
To fully follow Christ, he must become our all-consuming love. Everyone has a set of beliefs they adhere to, whether it is friends, culture, family, egotistical goals, or God. Only one object at a time can be followed. God commands us not to worship any other gods but him. We must only follow something else if we are to truly follow Christ.
How To Become A Follower Of Jesus
It’s not the simplest thing in the world to be a Christian. The most fulfilling and consoling thing anyone could ever do is give their life to Christ and work toward becoming more and more like him every day. To truly follow Christ, you need to know more about God’s love.
1. Pick up your cross. God may continue to allow some obstacles in our lives so that we might learn how to overcome them and turn to him for help. We’re no longer required to bear our problems alone.
If we follow Christ, he offers us a means to experience peace and a more abundant life. Although he never assures us that life on earth will be problem-free, he does promise to assist us in resolving our problems.
2. Put your faith and commitment in Jesus’s truth. You will be saved if you believe that God raised Jesus from the dead and confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord. Because one confesses to their salvation with their mouth and heart, respectively.
3. Recognize Jesus Christ as the one and only Savior from the judgment of God. You must approach him according to his terms to be at peace with him and have eternal life. Jesus Christ is God’s provision to mend our broken relationship with him and remove the division brought about by our sins.
The Characteristics Of A True Follower Of Jesus Christ
The term “follower of Jesus” is defined several times in the Bible, but Luke chapter 14 contains the most notable definition. An individual who has submitted to Jesus Christ, loves the Lord, and is devoted to him is described as a disciple of Jesus in this passage.
1. We must become “born again” because, as Jesus said in John 3:3, “Truly, I tell you, no one can see the kingdom of God if he is not born again.” To become “born again,” we must confess and repent of our sins, give our lives to Jesus as our Lord and Savior, receive forgiveness by faith, and start living according to Jesus’ teachings.
2. The next point is prayer. If we are to follow Jesus, we must practice prayer. Jesus frequently prayed into the night. While we are not obligated to spend our entire nights praying, prayer should play a significant role in our lives. Spending time alone with God is crucial.
3. Obey God’s command. Another trait of a follower of Christ is humbly and obediently submitting one’s will to the will of God. Because of our love for him, what he desires for our lives and the world is more important than what we want.
4. Obeys God’s word and submits to it. The Bible is what he has given to his people to speak, guide, encourage, teach, correct, and provide hope. Thus, a genuine disciple of Christ must ultimately bow to it. It makes him, his purpose, and all his glorious and priceless promises clear. A follower of Jesus submits to the Word of God to enjoy the genuine joy he offers.
7 Rules Of Life For A Follower Of Jesus Christ
To follow Jesus is to want to resemble him. We want to follow in his footsteps by constantly obeying his Father. Making Christ your leader implies that you are following him. To make Jesus the Lord of our lives means to do just that.
1. We acknowledge his sovereignty over our lives. We accept him as our Lord. We give up our partial control and accept his total dominance. We followed his example. He does not follow us; we follow him.
2. We develop followers. Take note of the command to go and create disciples for the disciples. Calling others to follow Jesus is part of being a disciple of Jesus. We are his witnesses, charged with spreading the good news and illuminating his character. The disciples develop and grow.
3. We undergo baptism. By being baptized, we publicly commit to following Jesus. He urged his adherents to baptize new supporters. When individuals first placed their faith in Jesus and decided to follow him, they underwent this ceremony as part of the early church.
4. Jesus’ commands are followed. The disciples were instructed to both follow and transmit Jesus’ instructions. Jesus taught us that following his teachings would bring us joy and tremendous pleasure as followers. We must obey Jesus before we can instruct others to do the same.
5. We travel around the world. We introduce a lost, broken, and hurting world to Jesus. Jesus preached the gospel in public places all of his life. Jesus accomplished the reverse of what we seem to be committed to doing today—keeping the gospel outside of church facilities. He spread the beneficial and practical love of God in public places.
6. Following Jesus means maintaining the Golden Rule. During his Sermon on the Mount, Jesus emphasized the importance of following the Golden Rule: “So whatever you want men to do to you, do the same to them” (Matthew 7:12). To put it another way, act toward people as you would like to be treated.
7. Honestly converse with God. Jesus demonstrated the need for frequent prayer to God, our heavenly Father. God cherishes you. He is prepared to assist you. Pray to him, tell him how grateful you are, and ask for what you need.
Practical Tips For Deepening One’s Faith In Jesus
The environment in which we live is challenging. We seem to be passively anticipating the ensuing catastrophe at times. Your hope as a Christian lies within the Lord, not outside circumstances. So what are the after-activities? When the hopelessness you see overwhelms you, lift your gaze.
Be sure to take time for Jesus’ words to focus on yourself and direct your attention to the right places when assessing your spiritual health. Moreover, you can also ask for the guidance of the Holy Spirit.
Lastly, remember to look after your physical health, be bold, and attend church services. You’ll soon find that since your trust comes from sources outside of this world, you’ll confront the troubles of cutting-edge life with calm and hope.
Following Christ is a life-changing and profound adventure. It is a decision to live your life following Jesus’ teachings, motivated by love, compassion, and a desire to share his message of hope and salvation with the rest of the nations.
You embrace grace and forgiveness as a disciple of Christ, developing a close relationship with God that gradually reshapes you into his likeness. Prayer, worship, and Bible study provide strength, comfort, and direction as you trust God’s truth to show you the way.