Many of us may have wondered, “Is Jesus coming soon?” Jesus’ impending return inspires us to consider the essence of religion and the importance of living with intention in a society characterized by change and uncertainty. This question offers a space for reflection, conversation, and a greater understanding of the fundamental currents that create our spiritual landscape.
Jesus declared that he would return shortly, as written in Revelation 22:20, “Yes, I am coming soon.” John concludes by saying, “Amen. Come, Lord Jesus!” Since John’s book was written about two thousand years ago, many people are curious about what Jesus meant when he said “soon.”
- 1 When Will Jesus Come Back, According To The Bible?
- 2 Is Jesus Coming Soon And What Does This Mean?
- 3 How Soon Is Soon?
- 4 Are There Any Recent Prophecies About Jesus’ Imminent Return?
- 5 Is Jesus’ Return Linked To Global Events And Disasters?
- 6 What Are The Signs That Jesus Is Coming Soon?
- 7 How Should Jesus’ Return Affect The Way We Live?
- 8 10 Scriptures That Show Jesus Coming Was Imminent
- 9 How Can We Prepare For Jesus’ Second Coming?
- 10 Conclusion
When Will Jesus Come Back, According To The Bible?
Our Lord Jesus Christ has been said to return shortly, in just a matter of time. Nobody, however, is sure of the precise hour of Jesus’ second coming. According to Mark 13:32, only the Father knows the exact day and time, not even the heavenly angels or the Son.
Curiously, Jesus’ disciples inquired about the same matter before His ascension to heaven. In response, Jesus conveyed that they would remain unaware of the precise times or seasons, as these were within the Father’s jurisdiction.
Hence, the precise moment of Jesus’ return may forever elude us. What truly matters is our preparedness to welcome Him at any given moment, whether that be in the coming hour, a few months ahead, next year, or in a hundred years.
Is Jesus Coming Soon And What Does This Mean?
As outlined in the Bible, Jesus is destined to return to Earth for the purpose of rewarding those who have lived in accordance with His teachings and to accompany many individuals to heaven (Revelation 22:12). When that time comes, the King will address those seated at his right side and declare, “Come, you blessed of My Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the beginning of the world” (Matthew 25:34).
The rapture  could thus occur anytime since the Bible asserts that Jesus’ return to his church is soon. The apostles thought Jesus would return within their lifetimes. They frequently emphasized the “last days” and urged followers to be prepared. Because he often commanded his followers to “be ready,” it suggests that Jesus also intended us to believe in his impending return.
In the parable of the ten virgins, presented in the Gospel of Matthew, the virgins symbolize preparedness and vigilance, as they await the bridegroom’s arrival (Jesus) with their lamps either wisely filled with oil or negligently empty.
How Soon Is Soon?
How often have we heard the warning that Jesus is coming soon? Every generation seems to have thought that Jesus would arrive “soon” in their lives. Subsequently, a fresh generation of Christians arises after the prior one has passed, reiterating the call to “repent” and “be prepared” as they anticipate the imminent return of Jesus. This leads to a natural inquiry: When, indeed, will the return of Jesus occur?
Watching some of God’s greatest prophets and saints make these proclamations is fascinating. People claim that God leads and communicates in these “prophecies” repeatedly, yet they never seem to pass, challenging us to research further.
How soon will Jesus’ return and God’s kingdom take place? Could the messages these godly men and women received from God be wrong? As stated earlier, only God knows the real answer, but there are signs that we must be aware of.
Are There Any Recent Prophecies About Jesus’ Imminent Return?
It was mentioned in the Bible that two pre-second-coming events are more specific than the others: the manifestation of the Man of Lawlessness (2 Thessalonians 2:3) and the cosmic occurrences mentioned in Matthew 24:29–30.
In Matthew 24:29–30, we find Jesus describing it as such: There will be significant celestial phenomena where the sun will darken while the moon will lose its radiance. Stars will descend from the skies, and an extraordinary cosmic upheaval, unlike anything humanity has ever witnessed, will unfold.
At the moment when the unmistakable sign of the Son of Man materializes in the heavens, all the nations across the globe will mourn, witnessing the arrival of the Son of Man in magnificent splendor as He rides upon the celestial clouds.
Even though they may appear overwhelming, wars will continue to exist. You will hear about many rumors of destruction, but as believers, we must not be alarmed. Even though these things may occur, the end is yet to come.
Famines and earthquakes will occur in various places here on planet Earth, as prophesied in Matthew 24:7–8. All other indicators, including natural calamities, are contractions of what will come. These are all said to be merely the first signs of labor pains—of Jesus’ imminent return.
Is Jesus’ Return Linked To Global Events And Disasters?
The Bible offers some crucial precautions to keep us from reacting inappropriately or excessively to significant tragedies and global events. Even the Pharisees and Sadducees were reprimanded by Jesus in Matthew 16:3 for failing to see substantial trends, saying, “You know how to read the appearance of the sky, but you can’t read the signs of the times.”
Later, Jesus also said: “Be on guard, so that your hearts are not weighed down and depressed with the giddiness of debauchery and the nausea of self-indulgence and the worldly worries of life, and then that day [when the Messiah returns] will not come on you suddenly like a trap” (Luke 21:34–35).
According to what Jesus taught, significant tragedies and natural calamities are a regular and predictable part of life. They should remind us of our fallen world and our need for God as we pray, “Thy Kingdom come.” As his beloved followers, we must focus on walking in God’s will and look forward to the coming of Jesus and ultimate rescue from wickedness.
What Are The Signs That Jesus Is Coming Soon?
Although there is no pinpointed or definitive date for the return of Jesus, various signals hint at its proximity, in line with Jesus’ pledge to rejoin His followers prior to His ascension. However, as outlined in the Bible, there are significant indicators that we can remain watchful for.
- Natural disasters will happen more frequently. The Bible also mentions a rise in natural disasters before Jesus’ second coming. While there have been periods of drought, flooding, and other damaging weather conditions throughout history, the Bible indicates that these will increase in frequency and intensity due to end-time events.
- 1 Thessalonians 4:16 defines Jesus descending from heaven “with a scream, with the archangel’s voice, and with the sound of the trumpet of God.” We may hear shouts of gratitude, marvel, and admiration, as the Apostle Paul quotes Isaiah when he talks about the Day of the Lord: “Every knee will bow to me, and every mouth will give praise to God” (Romans 14:11).
- The increase in persecution of Christians. The Lord also cautioned us about a surge in the persecution of Christians. Undeniably, the annals of the church validate this prophecy, as Christians have endured persecution from the earliest days of the first century up to the present moment.
How Should Jesus’ Return Affect The Way We Live?
To lead a victorious Christian life, it’s crucial to engrave in our hearts the imminent return of Jesus Christ, acknowledging that it could occur at any moment. As the apostle Paul articulated, we are beckoned to gaze ahead with anticipation and steadfastness, awaiting “the blessed hope—the magnificent arrival of our great God and Savior, Jesus Christ” (Titus 2:13).
- Inspire others. Let’s face it, the Christian life can be challenging at times. Irrespective of the challenges life may present, our wellspring of hope remains undiminished, for the impending return of Jesus is our assurance. Consequently, we ought to kindle the flames of inspiration in others, encouraging them to align their lives with the profound teachings of the Bible.
- Spread the good news. Sharing the message of the gospel is one of our primary obligations in this world. Hence, when we spread this good news to all the nations, we must be more proactive and considerate.
- Always be prepared. One more way in which the imminent return of Jesus should impact your lifestyle is by maintaining a constant state of readiness. This means that you should live according to the Word of God, embracing the presence of the Holy Spirit, demonstrating a willingness to follow God’s directives, and standing prepared to depart should He manifest His presence.
10 Scriptures That Show Jesus Coming Was Imminent
What will the vineyard owner do? He will arrive, obliterate the vine-growers, and transfer ownership of the vineyard to others. The elders, scribes, and top priests realized he had spoken the parable against them.— Mark 12:9,12
The final trumpet will sound, the dead will be raised imperishable, and we will be changed in just a snap. We shall not all sleep, but we shall all be changed in a moment, in the twinkling of an eye.— 1 Corinthians 15:51–52
God is just: He will pay back trouble to those who trouble you and give relief to you who are troubled and to us as well. This will happen when the Lord Jesus is revealed from heaven in blazing fire with his powerful angels.— 2 Thessalonians 1:6
But the day of the Lord will come like a thief. The heavens will disappear with a roar; the elements will be destroyed by fire; and the earth and everything done in it will be laid bare. Since everything will be destroyed in this way, what kind of people ought you to be? You ought to live holy and godly lives as you look forward to the day of God and speed its coming. That day will bring about the destruction of the heavens by fire, and the elements will melt in the heat.— 2 Peter 3:10–12
However, you, dear, must recall the prophecy of our Lord Jesus Christ’s apostles, who told you, “In the last time, there shall be mockers, following after their ungodly lusts.” These are the ones who sow discord.— Jude 1:17–19
And let’s think about how we might encourage one another to do good things and show love for one another by continuing to meet together rather than stopping, as some people have a propensity to do, but all the more so as you see the day approaching.— Hebrews 10:24–25
As he proceeded, they gazed intently up into the sky when two men in white appeared beside them. “Men of Galilee,” they questioned, “why are you standing here gazing up at the sky? The same Jesus who was taken from you and ascended into heaven will return like you saw him ascend.”— Acts 1:10–11
Don’t venture outside if someone says, “There he is, out in the wilderness,” or “Here he is, in the inner rooms,” because those statements are untrue. The Son of Man will return, just as lightning from the east may be seen in the west.— Matthew 24:26–27
Do not let your hearts be disturbed. Believe in God, and believe in me as well. There are several rooms at my Father’s home. Would I have informed you that I would set up a space for you if that didn’t happen? And if I go and make a place for you, I’ll return and bring you with me so that wherever I am, you can be, too.— John 14:1–3
Therefore, stay awake, for you do not know on what day your Lord is coming. But know this: if the master of the house had known at what part of the night the thief was coming, he would have stayed awake and would not have let his house be broken into. Therefore, you also must be ready, for the Son of Man is coming at an hour you did not expect.— Matthew 24:42–44
How Can We Prepare For Jesus’ Second Coming?
The return of Christ Jesus is imminent. We are starting to witness all of the foretold signs in the Bible. Christians should thus be on guard until the Lord’s return, watching and praying.
- Pray. Prayer, akin to a potent instrument, is an indispensable asset for every Christian. It serves as our bridge to getting in touch with God, a conduit through which we convey our hopes and entreaties, all in readiness for the imminent Second Coming.
- Study the Bible. Within God’s scriptures, we possess a comprehensive source of insight into the culmination of times and the Second Coming. Every believer should diligently study both the Old Testament and the New Testament, guided by the wisdom of the Holy Spirit. The Scripture also gives believers the key to surviving these dangerous times and the weapons of victory we need to thwart even humanity’s own evil desires.
- Build a community with other Christians. The Bible encourages us to stay in fellowship with other Christians. It is how we can take responsibility and strengthen our faith.
Across history, faithful individuals have searched for signs and symbols in their surroundings that could potentially signify the approaching Second Coming. Nevertheless, it’s evident that, in our present day, no one possesses a complete and entirely accurate understanding of these signs. While the exact timing remains a mystery, the hope and faith in Christ’s return unite Christians in anticipation and devotion.
As believers, we should thus live with the expectation that he could arrive at any moment. In the end, the Second Coming isn’t merely a theological concept; it stands as a radiant source of hope, cutting through the obscurity of uncertainty and extending comfort and purpose to those who earnestly seek it. May God bless us all!