The Word of God tells us that our earthly death is not the end but is a right of passage that we all go through before we enter heaven and gain eternal life. For secular ideologies and cultural systems, death is perceived as something that is either obscured by many superstitions or just the simple cycle of life.
As followers of Christ, the “Son of God,” we must always cling to His truth and abide by everything He says through prayer for the dying. Ultimately, His holy word tells us in Romans 14:8, “If we live, it’s to honor the Lord. And if we die, it’s to honor the Lord. So whether we live or die, we belong to the Lord.” This implies that we have no ownership of our lives as only God has the ability to give and take it away.
Prayer For A Peaceful Death
Others may perceive death as a blissful end of their earthly life and the start of their journey to the loving arms of our Lord God in His kingdom in paradise. However, most of us are bound to secular ideas and relate death to something quite daunting.
Use these prayers immediately for a dying person to call upon the Holy Spirit and ask for peace for the passing of people on their death bed. Offer your prayers to the Lord and ask for their sins to be cleansed to prepare them to leave their body and receive the glory of God:
- Father God, listen to the prayer of your children. We are your believers, and we worship you with all our hearts. Let your Holy Spirit come down from heaven and bless those dying with your words. Grant them the courage to face their fear of death, and let no evil take part in this passing. Amen.
- Dear Christ our Lord, listen to your servant and let your words bring peace to the dying. Grant them eternal rest, and let your resurrection be a genuine reminder that there is life beyond the shadow. Let peace prevail, and mourning is defeated through praying. Amen.
Powerful Prayers For The Dying
Mature Christians know how the power of prayer is very influential in our life here on earth. Similarly, prayers are the only way to seek God’s mercy for those in pain and dying. May it be our loved ones, colleagues, and other family relatives. Prayers are helpful for those souls who seek eternal salvation through the Heavenly Father.
Pray for joy and ask God to let no evil corrupt the heart of the person on their death bed. Seek the power of the Holy Spirit for the dying as you say these prayers and offer it to the Lord, Himself:
- Everlasting Father, hear your children as we pray for those dying and in agony. Bring them to your light and let them see you and your abounding grace. Bless those families who mourn and reassure them of your undying love. Amen.
- Lord, let your only Son bring forth salvation to those dying. Help them know you even in their last moment here on earth. Absolve them, Father, of the sins they have committed in the past. Amen.
Comforting Prayer For The Dying
The feeling of dying may not be as pleasant as it sounds. Still, as a believer in the holy word and the immense power of our Almighty God, it is a prerequisite that we acknowledge our earthly death as the beginning of our journey to the kingdom of God, and live forever in the pardon of our only Lord & Savior.
Say these prayers for the dying and rest, knowing that the physical pain of our demise is our last agony before the angels lead us to heaven:
- Almighty God, I pray that you bring hope and comfort to the mourning heart of all dying people. I pray that you forgive them of all their sins in this world. Be their Savior and let the Bible provide comfort as they await their passing. All these I pray in the name of Jesus Christ, our Lord. Amen.
- Heavenly God, let your dear Son, Jesus Christ, be with the dying and comfort them in their final hours. Grant them hope and reassure them of your truth in the Bible and give them your comforting touch as you wait for them in eternity. All these we pray through you, dear Son, Jesus Christ, born of the Holy Mary. Amen.
Prayers To Know Mercy Jesus Christ Before Dying
The Almighty Father has already granted us eternal life as His Son, Lord Jesus, was born through the virgin mother and died on the cross on Mount Calvary. Our salvation is not anchored in our good deeds. Instead, God’s word and mighty power allow us to spend eternity.
Use this prayer for the dying to help you clear your soul and thoughts of the secular idea of death and the afterlife and let God’s light shine upon your weary heart:
- Lord, may every dying person know you and renounce their faith even just before they pass away. Let them recognize you as their one true God and Savior and assure them that your love and mercy are all-powerful and will be known to men forever. Amen.
Prayers For The Friends Of The Dying
The death of a dear friend can be devastating but behind the suffering and sorrow is the assurance that all the angels will lead your friends’ souls to the kingdom of the Eternal God, our Heavenly Father.
It is our human weakness that we dwell too much on the death of a friend but use the following prayers to help you deal with the death of your friends and know that eternal life is theirs, who trust in our Lord Jesus.
- Lord God, we come to you in prayer to praise you and ask that you forgive the sins of our friend who is dying. Let him leave this world free of sin and let your Holy Spirit, Lord, grant eternal rest unto him. Let our friend fear not, for your peace and strength are superior to anything on this earth. All these we ask in the name of Jesus Christ, our Lord, and Savior. Amen.
- Father God, I come before you as your servant, praying that you grant peace to my friend with illness. Let your word from the bible verses become his ultimate source of strength as he prepares for his soul to leave this world. Amen.
Prayers For The Family Of The Dying
The death of a loved one can be a difficult moment for all of us. It tests our faith and puts every Christian soul to the test of trust. As Christians, we must not be saddened by the loss of the earthly life of a loved one, for it marks the beginning of their journey to life everlasting.
As a mature faithful Christian, you can pray for the faithful departed as part of the grieving process and let the living God walk with the soul of the family members who had passed and fulfill his gracious promises for mankind. Let the merciful God take over and allow His perpetual light to shine upon the grave of your loved ones through these prayers for the dying:
- Dear Lord Jesus Christ, hear our prayers for the dying and let eternal rest grant unto our relative. Let your blessed presence guide your dear child through the perilous journey to your kingdom where saints and sinners coexist, oh Jesus Christ. All these we ask through all the saints in heaven. Amen.
- Hear our prayers for the dying, gracious Father, and save our relative from the great bodily weakness he is facing. Carry his cross and let your grace grant eternal rest unto our family relative. All these we pray in the name of our Lord, Jesus Christ. Amen.
Death is inevitably part of our lives here on earth. One way or another, our earthly riches no longer matter, and the Lord’s wrath will come down to those who refuse to know Him. Come to the Lord through prayer and let His presence be a reminder that His kingdom is forever.
Similarly, let every prayer you utter console you as you deal with doubt and grief after the death of a person who is dear to you. Know that as they leave their earthly body, the Lord will be at His gates to welcome them to life everlasting and have perpetual light shine on them.